One of the problems people have with recognizing when a prophecy is fulfilled is that the information that would tell them it was fulfilled is hard to come by. Even if a Scripture passage is interpreted correctly, without seeing the event a fulfillment is not known. And an event may have happened, nonetheless, even without the availability of good information.
On that last point for example, over 99% of the people in the world living two millennia ago, as well as all the people living today, would have never known about a man from Galilee, crucified, and raised from the dead, unless they were told. This is the Gospel that is to be preached to every nation.
Likewise, certain events that happened in Iran for the last forty years are not that well known. However, these relatively unknown events fulfill the beginning of Daniel 8, the prelude to the Second Signpost, as told in the Signpost interpretation.
The relatively unknown events I mention here are the existence, beginning, and growth in power of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in Iran. Books and papers were being published only as recently as the years since 2013, though IRGC activity began in the 1980’s. One had to dig to find this information.
From my own research and digging, I wrote all about the IRGC and how it fulfills Daniel 8:3 as the second horn growing up longer and later, in Daniel Revisited chapter 10, and Iran’s Great Invasion chapter 4.
The IRGC is now more powerful than the supreme leader. The IRGC grew from a bodyguard for the supreme leader in 1979, to a body of men who are defenders, police, and invaders-to-be for, the 1979 Iranian Shia Revolution.
According to news from Arab News and Fox News, a recording of comments by Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif was leaked telling us in the open what was already known by those who know the Signposts. Other news sites tell how this revelation comes as a surprise.
What was leaked was that the power of the IRGC is equal to or greater than that of the supreme leader, the first horn of the ram of Daniel 8:3. Before the Second Signpost can happen, i.e. Daniel 8:4, the second horn must grow up to be longer than the first horn. The horns are said to be long, or tall, and therefore have absolute power in Iran. In 1979 the supreme leader was declared to speak for Allah, and now the IRGC sometimes makes rulings in place of the supreme leader.
Some of the more notable quotes from the Arab News article are as follows:
1) “Most notable from the hours-long leaked recordings . . . were Zarif’s revelations that Soleimani and his accomplices in the IRGC exert near-total control over foreign policy.”
2) “. . . this power imbalance is a result of the IRGC’s ascendancy to power since its formation during the Iran-Iraq war.” [emphasis added]
3) “It transitioned from only guarding the office of the supreme leader and his ideology to territorial protection, which led to it sidelining the army and Foreign Ministry.”
Some of the Fox News article quotes are as follows:
1) “. . . Zarif was heard in audio confirmed by The New York Times as authentic saying that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) overrules many government decisions, strongly suggesting it’s the military that’s actually fully in control of the country. While this may be to some degree stating the obvious, it’s hugely unexpected for Iran’s top civilian diplomat to actually candidly admit as much.” [emphasis added]
The fact that the NY Times has confirmed this shouldn’t put us off since though they may lie about various American political topics to push the Leftist agenda, what’s the motivation to lie about Iran’s internal politics?
2) “. . . he’s heard discussing slain Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani and how the elite commander undermined him in a variety of ways, noting he often went against Iran’s interests.”
I would say here “Iran’s interests” is what Zarif thinks they should be, but he is also not part of the two horns so his opinions do not matter in the big picture.
Whether by accident, or by intentional act, I believe our God has allowed the events behind the growth of the second horn of the ram to be shouted out via bullhorn to all the world that the IRGC runs Iran’s foreign policy, which in decades past was the supreme leader’s role. It still is technically, but the IRGC in many ways has exceeded the power of the supreme leader.
“Now the two horns were long, but one was longer than the other, with the longer one coming up last.” Daniel 8:3 (NASB)
Next to come is Daniel 8:4: “I saw the ram butting westward, northward, and southward . . .”